Ðead Øn Årrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ðead Øn Årrival

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??

Go down 
+5
rumpig
Woffle'
Amz
***mystic***
slicker
9 posters
AuthorMessage
slicker

slicker

So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty
PostSubject: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-05-20, 17:12

ÐØÅ|Clown: oi u 2 comin lol
|ÐØÅ|Clown is now Offline.
Your state is set to Offline.
Lost connection to Steam, will rejoin chat automatically when connection regained.
Connected again and rejoined chat.
|ÐØÅ|Clown is now playing Counter-Strike: Source. Click here to join.
|ÐØÅ|Clown is now Online.
|ÐØÅ| Slicker_(Cpt) is now playing Counter-Strike: Source. Click here to join.
Lost connection to Steam, will rejoin chat automatically when connection regained.

This is what happens when me and Coder are in a scrim or in the same server for not even a minute...
It keeps on disconnecting us,... yet we are still ingame but it lags the fuck out..
So what is actually happening is Steam disconnects but leaves us playing.. with lag then ok for a while...
I've read some things online about port forwarding could fix it.. I haven't tried it but yeah...Will do that shortly..
Has anybody had this problem before and if so .. How to fix ?? scratch
Back to top Go down
***mystic***

***mystic***

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-05-20, 17:28

scratch hmmmm,looks to me like clown is crashing your CSS.I'd watch him I would, Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Blue_da_Magpie/
Amz

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-05-20, 19:09

slicker yeah not with css but running net on 2 comps
without port forwarding fucks this up.. basically routers have a NAT firewall which is jst useless shit.. so portforwarding is like creating rules in this firewall.. however i find that if u bridge ur connection instead, ur net runs a lot faster n a lot smoother.. so id recommend doing that..
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-05-21, 03:04

Umm what would he be bridging amz? Im confused

It can be port forwarding which is great so long as you have some sort of firewall on your own computer to substitute the one that is normally in the router. PF is something that i normally do for every router i get, helps the speed of the connection for certain types of download and find the connection is normally more stable.

However it can also be the line conditions (bad/faulty wiring), overloading of the exchange box or just a general ISP and the servers on the way to steam (or steam itself) fail...

Get a program like Ping Plotter which is a nice graphical tracert (traces the route of information to a website/server) on the line. Run it for say google.com steampowered.com your ISP's website and trademe.co.nz.

Run it on a 2.5 or 1 second interval and turn the recorded ticks up to say 2-300. This should show the PL (packet loss) percent and where the packets are being lost.

If ifs over the first couple of hops then more than likely its something in or before your ISP, if its the first hop then more than likely its something within your home wiring/setup or between your house and the first exchange.

Feel free to post screens if you want me to have a look.
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-05-21, 07:19

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=adsl_modem_router_bridge_mode

maybe im a noob and dont know wat im talking about.. but i made some changes to my config ages ago and apparently it was called bridging and it did a shit load of good Razz so hopefully that link up there explains it a bit better than i could Razz
Back to top Go down
rumpig

rumpig

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-05-21, 08:02

if its a pain for now and ya cant fix it try setting ya friends to ofline and try playing.. see if that helps just so u can have a decent game ....until ya work it out
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-05-21, 08:03

hehe was meant to delete that before you saw it, realised you were talking about router bridging rather than the bridging i was thinking of (joining two physical connections as one) IE getting two ADSL2 lines install in house and plugging both into the same computer, get very fast internet then Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-05-21, 21:49

lol woffle Razz
Back to top Go down
slicker

slicker

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 02:06

Another question I would like to ask in this situation....
BTW I've now tried all the above and no go.... for some reason even with port forwarding it does it... worked for the first two days then went heywire after that...

Here is my question...
Currently our interleaving is enabled....
Would this perhaps have an affect on our performance as I know it makes a ping difference.
I would really like a good answer here as I can only enbable or disable it once per month .. coz its gotta be arranged by xnet and done manually ...
Unlike slingshot ..... where its at your own risk of changing.. but you can put it on and off yourself !!

PREEZ help I confused
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 03:49

Interleaving will help with ping, but if your ping is fine and stable then there is no reason to turn it off. Really depends on the line quality as to whether its better having it on/off.

Have a look at your SNR (signal to noise ratio) and the Line Attenuation (should be in db) which will give you an idea of if turning interleaving off is worth it:

SNR Margin
In general, a higher signal to noise ratio will result in less errors.
6bB. or below = Bad, will experience intermittent synchronisation problems.
7dB-10dB. = Fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions.
11dB-20dB. = Good with little or no synchronisation problems
20dB-28dB. = Excellent
29dB. or above = Outstanding

Attenuation Rates
Attenuation is the loss of signal over distance. dB loss isnt just dependent on distance. It also depends on cabling, the number and location other connection points on the cable etc.
20bB. and below = Outstanding
20dB-30dB. = Excellent
30dB-40dB. = Very Good
40dB-50dB. = Good
50dB-60dB. = Poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB. and above = Bad and will experience connectivity issues

So essentially you should be looking at SNR 20dB and above or Atten. less than 30dB before putting interleaving off.

Reason to check all of this? Well interleaving is basically error correction (which slows down the time to get the packets from one side to the other as its sending packets then the other end is waiting for the checksum (packet that says whether all the data sent is correct).

So if your line quality isnt that great it will just create more errors on the line.

Will have a look at what i can when I come over sunday and see if we cant get it sorted. Got a couple of spare line filters etc and a spare modem that we can test as well.
Back to top Go down
Leeroy Jenkins

Leeroy Jenkins

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 07:34

im runnning 6 pcs off 1 net connection 3- 6 play css sometime all on the same server no problems could be a few things 1 ur router is dying 2 net provider suk 3 net provider might not support it who know lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.hidenseek.site40.net/
Leeroy Jenkins

Leeroy Jenkins

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 07:34

could u be capped?
Back to top Go down
c0d3r

c0d3r

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 08:13

1. Router/modem is relatively new (about 18 months) and the recommended model (recommended by the ISP) and supports ADSL2+. Our exchange is ADSL2+ too (suposedly). We've updated the firmware, reset it, reconfigured it etc.
2. I won't argue that the ISP sometimes sucks, but they give us incredible international calling rates (on the upside).
3. Router/modem is the recommended model so I doubt that the ISP won't support it.

The speedtest results are great (8MB+ dl, ~1MB ul) but it lags out for a second every couple of minutes. I was at home yesterday and connected to work via VPN and it still lagged out every couple of minutes <- annoying as hell.

We're on an unlimited bandwidth plan - so we're uncapped. We managed about 120GB downloads last month Mad
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 08:18

Leeroy - so your answer is shit sucks? thats helpful Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 09:00

Is this still happening at your new premises? cause i thought you guys moved..?
Back to top Go down
c0d3r

c0d3r

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 09:14

Yeah, we moved 2 weekends ago. Internet is much faster but Steam still disconnects when both me and Slick are on css (even if we're on different servers). If we're both on the same server (e.g. DOA public server) then whoever connected first has perfect sound ingame and bad-luck to the second person who can't hear jack-shit.

It is a sign for me to get into the kitchen and bake more cookies.
Back to top Go down
slicker

slicker

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 11:06

Yes sex eyes Razz
This is at the new place....
So I honestly don't know what to do....
I've done PF
I've done MTU changes
I've done Qos
I still don't know wtf it is....
As Coder mentioned above... we are not capped.
The router is a Linksys WAG200G ... recommended by a friend and ISP.

ZOMG !!! Shocked

Mad
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 11:38

its coz you live in NZ, nuff said... Razz haha
Back to top Go down
rumpig

rumpig

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 12:19

is the router over heating??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 12:46

Tha Snowmann wrote:
its coz you live in NZ, nuff said... Razz haha

You may be onto something there Snowy (even though clearly you have about as much intention on helping as i do a drowning pedo) lol! no offense Razz

Try out this server with the both of you as per what normally happens and see if it still happens...

its recoil nz deathmatch server, almost always full so should give you good idea

58.28.96.41:27015

let me know how you go, i have a few more useless time consuming ideas up my sleeve...
Back to top Go down
c0d3r

c0d3r

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 15:12

Ah man, that NZ recoil server plays like a dream.
Back to top Go down
***mystic***

***mystic***

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 16:18

sounds to me like good old fashioned packet loss,due to possibly wireless internet connections or trans continent travel..IE: distance to the aussie/tassie servers
Back to top Go down
https://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Blue_da_Magpie/
Leeroy Jenkins

Leeroy Jenkins

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-04, 16:25

must be ur router if its still doing it after new place see if u can get another one to test it then if it still does it take new one back to shop
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty2010-06-05, 12:15

c0d3r wrote:
Ah man, that NZ recoil server plays like a dream.

So im asuming that this means the both of you can play on this NZ server at the one time without problems...?

So the problem is when you both try to connect to Aus servers at the same time? So really, the only solution is you both pack up and move to Aus Razz

But, no seriously, i know there is a way you can solve the clash of data/data loss from AUS servers, it has something to do with allowing cs to opperate on certain ports within your router, e.g. on my comp, ive got dedicated ports for Azureus, css etc... all set up in my router, perhaps look at if you have dedicated ports in your router set up for specific things, might not be a problem with NZ stuff becuase of locailsed content (or some shit) but is conflicting across to aus... set it up so that you both access css through different ports respectivly within your router and let me know how that turns out... should be instructions in your router FAQ that would help you do this... i use belkins so would be different...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??   So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ?? Empty

Back to top Go down

So our interwebs keeps on dc'ing steam ??
Page 1 of 1