FAQHomeHomeSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Anti virus

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrokenBos

PostSubject: Anti virus   2010-05-24, 17:25

Hey all,
Just seeing what AV's you all use and if anyone has a good recommendation.

Atm I'm using Avast but just wanna make sure I'm getting the best of the free shit Smile

I was reading about Panda cloud AV. Anyone heard/used this at all. I like the concept of using a cloud for AV but yeah.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-24, 18:10

I do not under any circumstances promote the use of pirated sofware, however, i do believe in "try before you buy" Spyware doctor has been so awesome for me since 08 that im now a paid subscriber, in conjunction with "uniblue register editor" i am resonably confidant of letting a female use my computer without causing too much harm Razz

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5179014/Spyware_Doctor_2010_v7.0.0.508_Serial_[_kk_]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thy Devourer

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-24, 18:39

Lol i just have avg free edition. does the job nicely.

- Lamb Of God.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Electron

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-24, 19:11

There are two ways to do this.

One is the expensive, but most effective way. Spyware Doctor will kill everything! BUT it comes at a rather large cost. If left running it will grind your PC into the ground, chewing up all the CPU and RAM - have had on many a clients PC that it's been left running and they complain of thier computer being slow...

The second way is by running 2 programs. I recommend using Avira Antivir, and SuperAntiSpyware. Avira does have a realtime scanner, SAS does not unfortunately (unless you pay for the upgraded version). Both these are avaliable from filehippo.
Run a scan once a month with both and you should get rid of most of your virus/spyware issues. - EDIT: Oh there is one more thing, Avira does alert you every 24 hours to buy a 'premium edition' but it works perfectly fine without spending 29 quid thankyou very much!

AVG does do the job. However, it has become like another Norton... It wants to do everything, rather than what it was originally designed for. The download size has ballooned to over 90Mb, when you can get Avira for around 40Mb...

Amz

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-24, 21:15

yeah i use avg, but i also agree with electron, its gettin to the point where its hard to manage. Basic programs are always the best and they come with the least bullshit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
c0d3r

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 00:40

If you're running Windows 7 then Microsoft Security Essentials. Low on resources, free, and catches them bugs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tha Snowmann
|đě┼| Leader

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 03:24

+1 for Microsoft Security Essentials
was using it on my server/lan comp and ive never had a problem with it so far. it just works and its free!

me personally i use Norton 360 v4, this is coz my parents have bought it and i dont have to pay for it Razz
but i do like it, havnt had a problem with it and all that shit about it bloating and slowing down your comp, its all bullshit. Norton used to be like that several years ago but have now vastly improved!
plus when running with a SSD nothing is slow Razz

fodder wrote:
Jeez you crap on 47
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woffle'
đě┼ VIP

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 04:20

Have done "trials" of full products in the past just as 47 has, would recommend Avast personally, its free and gets rid of all the shit it should. Low on resources when its not doing a scan (currently sitting at 2 mb usage with heuristics turned to full). The gaming mode is good shit and will be getting the paid version of avast for the sandbox and firewall feature. Since sandboxie doesnt work on win7 x64 Sad Oh an as for the cost of it, just find another two mates that want antivirus, they have the 1 year @ $29 at the moment that can license 3 pc's so thats just $10 each.

Panda is an interesting concept but i personally wouldnt use it. Partly for the fact that if you loose your internet connection for even say a minute while a virus'd exe is opened will it still report it as a virus or let it just install cause there is no internet connection. Also they say that new threats are detected in 6 minutes (compared to say a day or two for others), but if its done in 6 minutes what checks are there to make sure its not a false positive?

Also it looks quite basic compared to other free programs (maybe there is more than what it seems?). Along with the fact that the information about all your programs is going to their server, a) racking up internet usage and b) they see everything you do. Paint me paranoid but i like to have the option to send information to a company rather than them taking whatever they want.

**edit, just found this**

Windows 7 + MSE is good too Smile Stay away from avg and norton, kapersky is prob the best but need to pay for it. Never really liked nod32 always seem to stuff systems up for me (have needed to format 3 pc's with nod32 cause they stopped working properly)

Dark Angel

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 04:50

I have Mcafee and love it. Gentle on the resources, monitors my network traffick, has a great system cleaner. Everything I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrokenBos

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 05:58

Cool thanks for that guys, I think I'll have a look at MSE but will stay with avast for the moment. I don't think I'll go back to running AVG's annoyware I mean freeware version... And norton... *shudders* yeah they lost me a while back.

Basicly I saw the panda ad on a website and had a bit of a look and it intrigued me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reaper

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 07:06

I use NOD32. It's 'free' and is awesome. Comes highly recommended from Smilin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edgers

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 10:37

I just use AVG

HijackThis for tricky ones
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thy Devourer

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 12:49

I dont do anything technical thats why avg does the job.

- Lamb Of God.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 13:11

an oldie but a goodie... Razz

But i prefer my way... cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crunchy

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   2010-05-25, 13:41

Dark Angel wrote:
I have Mcafee and love it. Gentle on the resources, monitors my network traffick, has a great system cleaner. Everything I need

Love... McAfee? Should not be in the same sentence. O_O
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anti virus   

Back to top Go down

Anti virus
Page 1 of 1