FAQHomeHomeSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

OVERCLOCKING

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
headshot

PostSubject: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-05, 22:03

this is for those that find this kind of stuff interesting.
I have a intel (R) core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

this cpu i got cause its not just ya normal quad core, it spits the core'ss into 8 and is almost the same as running 8 core's. PERFECT for overclocking.

on a pluss my motherboard is, an X58 platinum with a rapid boost.
this board is pretty much made for overclocking, on that note,, it has 3 switches on the board itself that enables you to switch it on 1x 2x and 3 x, overclocking it with the flick of a switch lol. i flicked this to 2 and it jumped from 2.67 to a 3.3GHz and thats a fucken huge jump.
with my cpu Temp on idol at about 42 it jumped up to 59.
i changed some of the numbers in the overclocking bios up a few and managed to overclock my CPU to a 3.7 before my temp of my CPU rised to 69 and counting so i changed the settings back to stock.
all i need now is a nice liqid cooling system over my cpu and i should be able to reach 4.1GHz at a temp im hoping around 35 to 40 degree's.

funny my pc is already bull crap fast with my operating system installed onto my solid state but u know u can never have a too fast computer :-)

any comments on anyone that has done a bit of overclocking? would be nice to hear what other ppl get theres up to.

oh and if anyone is gonna send a comment saying im stupid for going over 4, i know, its pushing the limits but i have seen the came cpu hit 4.3 so i know it can do it..
cheers guys
HeadShot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woffle'
VIP

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 03:04

Why not get a corsair h50 or a noctua NH-D14 should do. Both would be nice an quiet along with getting the cooling done.

lol at running it at 70 deg's without load, you would fry the thing under prime95 Razz Have you run any stability tests? memtest/prime95 etc? Any 3dmarks etc done?

Going over 4 isnt stupid, its only stupid if you dont know what your doing Razz Personally i dont like those "on-board overclock" utilities/options, why? Well every cpu is different from the factory, what may of worked well when they made the overclock part of the motherboard may not work well with your cpu. So definately make sure your checking temps often and do a good deal of burning tests before leaving it at that.

Havent really done much overclocking, managed to get a 386 to about 300mhz back in the days and have put my q6600 g0 step to around 3ghz as well but only as a test, ran stable but done have any aftermarket cooling/good airflow case so left it back at stock since the q6600's are an oven.

Amz

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 07:00

headshot.. you should be able to get about 4.1ghz with stock fan cooling depending on ur heatsink, case design and type of fans u have.. but atm i find that im more let down with my ram than my cpu at most stages..
and screw water cooling.. go all the way n get a phase change unit Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tha Snowmann
|| Leader

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 08:44

yeah personally i dont like the 'built in' overclocking abilities of mobos as they dont set the right volts and so forth. normally giving it wayyyy to much. OC should be done stright in the BIOS.

ive had my Q8200 (stock 2.3) up to 3.5, that was a bitch considering i was limited by a multi value of on 7. made it really hard.
got my Q9550 (stock 2.Cool only up to 3.6 so far i think. only want to get a FSB of 1600 and im happy. but had a few other problems with random things so just got it at stock for now.

fodder wrote:
Jeez you crap on 47
Back to top Go down
View user profile
headshot

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 10:00

yeah woffle funny u say that, i have been looking at the corsair h50 and its had some good reviews so im prob gonna go with that one.
i haven't done 3dmarks as of yet but when i overclocked it up to 3.3GHz it was running stable but at a temp i didn't like my cpu to be at, i just use a core temp program, its realy good for keeping an eye on your temps.

Amz yeah i wish i could with the standard cooling that came with my cpu but after seeing this review my cooler that came with my cpu isn't realy ment for my cpu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1II0kQHy2ig
since my cpu isn't a standard quad core, its an octo core so it needs a much bigger cooling system to realy get the best proformance out of my cpu.

and snowman thats pretty crazy man, there is some youtube vids that compare your cpu against mine and they seem to run yours at 4GHz so it is posible to go higher but im not sure what board they use, what board have u got?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrokenBos

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 10:08

I had my old p4 2.8 running at 3.8 for a while... then I got over it and bought a core2. much nicer. lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tha Snowmann
|| Leader

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 14:01

well i only got my Q9550 to 3.6 since that made the FSB at 1600 which is what my mobo supports (can go higher if i want though). dont care about going higher then that as i have no need. 3.6 is good for an everyday use.

broken i had an old P4 3.0ghz that i got running up at 3.9 when i first started getting into it. then went quad core Razz

headshot you might also want to take hyper threading off to help with a better OC. sometimes you can get a better OC with it turned off and also have it more stable.

fodder wrote:
Jeez you crap on 47
Back to top Go down
View user profile
searley

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 14:17

really i understand nothing of wat you`s are saying
Back to top Go down
View user profile
headshot

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 14:23

well that was pointless posting that then wasn't it gunner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amz

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 16:44

so headshot are u saying ur using ur stock heatsink/fan?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
headshot

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 17:10

yeah amz i am,
i do have 2 extra fans pumbing into my case witch does help a bit but getting some cooling for my CPU is a must. first thing i gotta do.

and yeah snowman that prob would make it heaps easier but im always doing multiple tasks at once and thats one of the things hyper threading is good for so whanna leave it on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amz

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-06, 17:40

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366/775 blister package

is wat i use, very effective, just make sure it fits in ur case..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woffle'
VIP

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-07, 01:47

im confused, hyperthreading = overclocking? Thought it was just a feature of a cpu.

Tha Snowmann
|| Leader

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-07, 05:40

HT is a feature of a CPU i never said it was OC. i said to turn it off as it can help with a more stable OC and better results.

ohh and headshot, the i7 920 is a quad core, it only has 4 physical cores, same as my Q9550. mine also has HT which can make it a so called 'octocore' but i have HT turned off as you wont see any 'real world' difference with it on.

fodder wrote:
Jeez you crap on 47
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woffle'
VIP

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-07, 07:03

didnt read your post snowy, just read headshots Razz

BrokenBos

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-07, 07:07

Headshot what case you running it in... I've found since I have had a good case all my components seem to just be chilllllin' chillllllin' like chillin'

My old gay case which was still pretty alright for what it was had so much extra latent heat in it.

But yeah as Amz said, the thermalright ultra 120 is sposed to be rad as.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
headshot

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-07, 09:01

ohhh snowman im with ya now. i thought u ment turn it off all the time to help with a stable temp or something,
yeah cheers i will turn it off when i do overclock. and yeah i know its quad core, it would be crazy if it was an octo core but what i ment is. its a stage up from normal quad cores and its the best your gonna get to a real octo core.
and i guess u wouldn't see a great difference with it off but i wouldn't know, i havn't had it off before but i do alot of hd converting and editing witch does use alot of the cpu usage so i think it must help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tha Snowmann
|| Leader

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-07, 15:45

headshot wrote:
its a stage up from normal quad cores and its the best your gonna get to a real octo core.

ahhh just to clarify its not the best your going to get to a real octo core, the 980x which has 6 physical cores (12 with HT turned on) is the best your going to get to an octocore Wink

that or get the new EVGA classified R2 and dump in two 980x CPU's and then you get 12 physical cores and 24 with HT :O

fodder wrote:
Jeez you crap on 47
Back to top Go down
View user profile
headshot

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-07, 18:12

hahah smat ass snowy.
i ment at the time, mine being the newest quadcore out, no later models, and its the closest u gonna get to a real octo core :-)
and come on who has the money to waste to put 2 980x cpu's on and get 12 cores lol

ummm broken im not too sure, i cant remember the name of it but it is pretty compacted in there and not giving anything a chance to breath
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woffle'
VIP

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-08, 03:58

just get an x5680 Very Happy yeah boi Razz

Let me know how the h50 goes (if you get it) cause i have only heard good things about it (apart from the extreme water cool guys that are just snobs).

Would recommend if your going to get a new case at any stage to get one with bottom and top case fans rather than front to rear. Reason is the h50 blows the warm air inside the case (in the standard installation), i can only guess this is to stop condensation? with the bottom to top it will be getting that warm air out as effectively as possible.

Amz

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-08, 06:24

again if u get a case .. lian-li x2000
Back to top Go down
View user profile
headshot

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-08, 07:28

yep ill let u know woffle.
and yeah would love a new case but might be a couple of months before i get that and amz. the lian li x2000 case is a good case, i like the idea as 3 split levels but if im gonnna spend 700$ on a case i would get the lian li pc888
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amz

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-08, 08:18

except that the pc888 is fkn ugly ><
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amz

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-08, 08:22

ahh i jst had a look x2000 = 645 .. pc 888 = 369 so it is substantially cheaper.. if ur eyes can take it Smile (imo)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woffle'
VIP

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   2010-06-08, 08:29

have you seen the corsair 700d/800d? pretty good case, has the 3 sections to the case as well.

With these cases there is at least room for a third card if you ever think of doing a dual sli and physx card for your gfx setup or at least have a slot spare for an audio card. Also not really a fan (no pun intended) of having a case that has an open vent right above a power supply with a fan that is on top of the psu (the x2000 needs a top mounted psu with a nice wide open grill above it).

If you get the x2000 then look at the psu orientation that you need (whether its a top or bottom mount psu as the screws can be placed differently.

And as amz just pointed out, if i got the 800d at least i wouldnt be throwing up each time i was in the same room as my computer Razz lol

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OVERCLOCKING   

Back to top Go down

OVERCLOCKING
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ead n rrival :: Off Topic :: Computer Hardware and Software-
Jump to: