đead ěn ┼rrival

FAQHomeHomeSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

What should i do

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpig

PostSubject: What should i do   2010-06-07, 12:53

Im about to quit smoking and i want to treat myself to something.
Now should i get this
XFX HD5870 1G DDR5 Dual DVI DL HDMI DP PCIEx16
or
eVGA nVIDIA GTX470 1280MB DDR5 Dual DVI DL/Mini HDMI

or both of these
Leadtek GTS250 PCI-E 2.0 1G 2DVI
Corsair HX3X12G1600C9 12GB (6x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) overkill yes, but u get the idea..

any thoughts. now i do like nvidia more but wont knock back ati..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edgers

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-07, 13:26

Definitely the 5870. GTX400 series are crappy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amz

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-07, 14:35

why not get a 5970?.. dont go with nvidia.. they are failing hard atm.. and dont get xfx.. its a gay shit brand.. had so many problems.. ud be better off with saphire of evga or something like that..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rumpig

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-07, 16:05

um im quitting smoking im not a drug runner, sorry cant spend 900 on a card..
right now i have a xfx 9800gt (512mb).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woffle'
đě┼ VIP

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-07, 16:57

Would wait a few months man, there is a new refresh of the current ati cards due in about 2 months and the 6xxx series is rumored to be this christmas. So prices will drop a bit quite soon.

As much as i like nvidia i really dont see myself buying one till the release a card beyond the 4xx series, everything before that is just failing a the moment.

250 you will need to upgrade too quickly for the price and the ram is just overkill, only need 6gb max, the other 6 gigi will just go to waste unless your editing hours of video etc. No game comes even close to using 12gb yet alone 6gb (afaik).

sorry to say but upgrading computers at the moment isnt the best time gfx wise at least Razz

headshot

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-07, 18:17

Sapphire Radeon HD 5970
just get one of them if u have 70000000$
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-07, 18:33

Yeah, im in the same boat rummy, my comp is about shitting itself, from failing graphics to failing sound (i think) i fix cars and shit, not comps lol... what woff face is saying makes sense to me though, ive heard nvidia are shite atm so ima wait it out for my comp to die, then play some more ps3, then mayby look at an upgrade Razz

Oh, congrats on the whole non-smoking thing, you can do it, some people cant but you can Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woffle'
đě┼ VIP

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-08, 03:51

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me 47, good on ya rummy for becoming a non smoker Smile Very Happy

My computer was failing on bad company 2, got a new audio card and now its working again so far so happy with that little purchase (Creative X-fi Titanium for $120nz).

Other thing to say is that if your looking to update something else around christmas etc, if you have a spare $500 odd (looking at what your looking to get) then maybe get an ssd? Just a thought as the hard drive is normally the worst performing part in a computer.

headshot

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-08, 07:44

woffo has a good idea guys,
and u dont need a big one either, just a 16 gig would be good, i have a kinston 80 gb ssd.
best thing to do is, install your operating system on it and any programs u use all the time.
then for your games i have a 160 gb raptor, it is 10000 rpm so is alot faster then your normal hdd, i use the raptor for all my games. and finaly a 1 or 2 tb for your your photos, music, vids.

the reason i dont have games on the solid state is im allways takings old games off and putting new ones on.
this is bad for a ssd as they do wear out and become slower.

with my operating system and programs e.g itunes on the sdd my pc can reboot in in seconds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amz

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-08, 08:17

yeah ive got a 120gb ssd.. but all it really changes is ur load times.. so well for me.. i put my os on there.. and my drafting programs since they access hdds more oftne then games etc.. putting ur games on a ssd wont really change the quality of the game for u... (unless im missing something)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
headshot

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-08, 08:33

nar maybe the littlest bit but no it wont, but there will be no load time between when u click to play the game and when the game opens up. but yeah your right, how the game runs is up to your cpu, card, board and ram.
so yeah ssd's arnt realy made for rewriting over the top all the time, its best to put on what u would like to load fast, and only take off and put on when u have to
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woffle'
đě┼ VIP

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   2010-06-08, 08:43

FOr the hard drives i would recommened a 60-120gb ssd with trim enabled, 2x 320 hard drives in raid and a 1tb/2tb hard drive for backup.

The raptor is noisy and suited for server work not standard computing, the 2x 320's will perform quieter and more likely better than the raptor in real world tests.

As for the SSD thing amz:

Metro 2033 Specs

Recommended:
Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
2GB RAM

Optimum:
Core i7 CPU
NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
Fast HDD or SSD

More than likely it will just speed up the game at load time, but may help with changing maps etc where it has to seek from the hard drive to get information.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should i do   

Back to top Go down

What should i do
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
đead ěn ┼rrival :: Off Topic :: Off Topic Rants and Rambles.-
Jump to: