Ðead Øn Årrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ðead Øn Årrival

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

comp crashing, suspected graphics card

Go down 
+4
***mystic***
Tha Snowmann
rumpig
Viprus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Viprus

Viprus

comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty
PostSubject: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 12:51

K well.
First time it happened was a week ago, my comp randomly crashed while gaming, weird sounds and multicolored pixellated screen. No way of recovery except to press restart button.
Since then its progressively gets worse and crashed during ANY type of game, css, hon and even runescape (yes i often play runescape inb4 gay)
Sometimes 10mins, 20mins or 2mins into playing, but rest assured iit will happen.
ALthough this happens during gaming, i can watch movies or dvds without any problem, only gaming is affected.
I have the LATEST drivers for my graphics card, which is a nVidia GTX280 1GB graphics card which was top of the range when i bought it nearly 2 years ago at $660.

If nobody has anyway to fix this other than buy a new GPU cos this ones fried, i would like some help in picking a new one.
I would like to buy one better than my old one, but for NOWHERE near that cost. Around $300 would be nice. Most of my comp is Asus, so if possible i would like to stick with that and i want nVidia.

Definately eyes are levelled at snowman and woffle for this, but anyone with any constructive advice is welcome to give it =)
Back to top Go down
rumpig

rumpig

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 13:11

gtx 250 arnt bad.. dont know about ati
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 13:15

dude one thing to note, if you want a card that is better then your 280 BUT stay with nvidia your sorta outta luck atm Sad

A GTX250 dosnt even compare to a GTX280, loss of performance there

the only cards that are better then yours atm are the new GTX400 series cards.
either the GTX470 - $499 (ETA: 30/04/10)
or the GTX480 - $749 (ETA: 30/04/10)

These prices are from PC Case Gear

there are some 200 series cards still around however for something thats $300 AND Nvidia thats better your still outta luck.
You can get a GTX285 card but thats still up around the $500 mark

Scorptec still ahve some 200 series cards out atm.

either that or look out for a second hand one to get ya by for a little bit till ya have some more cash for it.

Onto your problem tohugh...

It does sound like a graphics card issue, if you can i would suggest running this program FurMark
What happens if you leave your computer on for a while but not play any games?? do any artifacts occur?
When you say you have to restart does the comp go into a BSOD? or does it just lock up? or can you just see nothing?

when it happens next get a pic of it and post it up so we can see man.

what brand is the card? ASUS, gigabyte, EVGA...??
check your warrenty as well as you might be able to take it back directly to the manufacture via a RMA.
Back to top Go down
***mystic***

***mystic***

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 15:41

This may not be aplicable as I'm not too savvy with graphics cards but my missus has a reasonable card for about $200,Geforce 7300LE Nvidia card.
Plays CSS alot better than my piece of shit 5200
Back to top Go down
https://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Blue_da_Magpie/
Quoth...

Quoth...

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 16:14

might sound silly, but perhaps you need to downgrade your drivers?
Back to top Go down
http://quothdesign.com.au
Viprus

Viprus

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 16:36

K ill do that furmark thing and picture after this post.
TO answer your questions.
If i leave comp on nothing happens, all normal.
When i have to press the restart it completely locks and is all multicolored pixels on my screen with a funny noice, on both screens actually.(PIC COMING SOON)
brand=ASUS
dont have warranty, was 24 months just went over in january. NOW to go play css for 5 mins =)
Back to top Go down
Braddles

Braddles

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 17:13

Its RuneScape, the graphics are too good to handle. Na haha I'd have no clue. But you play RuneScape?! Very Happy add me plox? Haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/brad_sick
Viprus

Viprus

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 17:35

well i cant get it to crash, but i did take it apart on some randoms advice and clean it out (first time in 2 years)

He seems to think it could be heat or dust.
I cant see how its heat tho, because i havent changed anything in the 2 years ive had it, though i dont know if as they get older if they can handle more heat or not.

Well cleaned it out and was playing css for about 30mins and couldnt get it to crash.
next time it does though ill snap a pic and chuuck it on here

btw rsn: ECU Viprus
Back to top Go down
Quoth...

Quoth...

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 17:53

Even with all the fans and filters on my new machine, i still get a build up of fine dust, so it could have been that. It will increase the heat held on the chip, and slow down the fan. Getting the dust off the chip would not be easy, you would have to take off the fan etc, and it could be messy.

You never know, it could solve the problem.
Back to top Go down
http://quothdesign.com.au
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 17:55

aiight well, maybe a clean did fix it up. much dust come out of it?

another thing, waht power supply do you have?

and i would also try to downgrade the drivers to the previous one as well, might be an issue with the new release or something
Back to top Go down
Viprus

Viprus

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-07, 20:15

nah it did it before i updated the drivers and ill check out the power supply in the morning.
Yes alot of dust came out of it, and i used a hi-powered vacuum lol
Edgers then told me i wasnt supposed to do that, but oh well. And i really stuck the vacuum in against the vents of everything including the g card lolol
oops! but everything works fine, just hoping i dont get another crash!
but if i do, pic.
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-08, 02:26

one of those mini compressed air pen blower things or a cloth if its just the fan blades. Vacuum cleaner = Sad

Good to hear that its working again okay though, may pay to keep an eye on the temps of your gfx card (nvidia has a utility for it from memory). More than likely was over heating
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-08, 04:15

yeah vacuum cleaner = no good. creates static which can fry your board/components.

def get something to check the temps of your card to see how it goes.

have you run furmark yet? that will let you know about temps within the program
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-08, 05:52

Vaccum cleaner bad..? Idnt know that, i pull mine apart, bring it too work and use 150p.s.i. of raw compressed air to clean all my bits... Hmmm, mayby why my graphics and hard drives have failed in the past LOLOLOLOLOL... i supose washingthem int he parts cleaner isnt too good either huh...?
Back to top Go down
Viprus

Viprus

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-08, 06:10

K well i ran that furmark thing and i wasnt sure if it finishes?
so at 18.30 i stopped it
Average fps = 44
Temperature for pretty much the whole way 85 degrees Celsius

IS THAT BAD?

Power SUpply is Amacrox AX850-EP (850W)
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-08, 06:18

vacuume cleaner is bad, like i said static. compressed air is fine so your sweet with that 47.

i believe it should run a few different tests. so after 18minutes you stopped it? let it run for about 2 hours or so or until it finishes/crashes.

85 at load is fine, cards can withstand up to around 95 or so.

that avergae fps is fine (from memory) i actually dont know what a 280 is supposed to score but its better then what my card gets.
Back to top Go down
Viprus

Viprus

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-08, 06:22

2 hours, ill do it later
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty2010-04-08, 06:27

no probs man
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: comp crashing, suspected graphics card   comp crashing, suspected graphics card Empty

Back to top Go down

comp crashing, suspected graphics card
Page 1 of 1