Ðead Øn Årrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ðead Øn Årrival

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

ive had the worst luck lately....

Go down 
+3
Amz
Woffle'
Tha Snowmann
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty
PostSubject: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-13, 11:15

well ive been planning on getting back onto the server a bit more however due to my comp being an absolute pain in the fucken ass i havnt beena ble to Sad

about a couple of weeks ago my comp just wouldnt load into windows, would just restart at the windows loading screen or freeze. very rarely it would get into windows and i would be able to use the comp. ive tested every bit of hardware that i can and it all came up sweet. so i thought it was a dodgy or corrupted install of windows some how.
so i went and bought myself a brand spanking new intel 160GB SSD which i had to get shipped over from the states, cost a nice bit but still $200 cheaper then what i could get it for here.
came in on sunday which i was surprised about but anyway i decide sweet now ill get the comp back together.

i had to change the motherboards of my two computers over so it meant rebuilding 2 comps and reinstalling windows 2 times.
so my main comp i get back together after a few hours of rebuilding, power it on and sweet it detects my new SSD.
chuck in windows and start installing. everything going all good and does it first install, gets to the first time loading windows and does the graphics performance test....and just freezes Sad gotta restart and then i reload up windows. thing just freezes again at loading and im getting fucken pissed off!

onto the second install of windows on this comp and it finally gets into windows and im you fucken beaut! loaded up fast as all hell! open up internet explorer to download the drivers and the comp just freezes! fuck fuck fuck fuck! so i gotta reboot.
does this a few times.
so i reload windows again......this time i got to install norton 360, did it in maybe 3 seconds or so then BAM the comp freezes again!

im going crazy trying to figure out whats wrong, so i start taking bits of hardware out one at a time. take one of the graphics cards out and still does it, took the sound card out and still does it. took the main graphics card out and replaced it with an old 8800GTS card that i was using for physx and hey it booted into windows and didnt freeze!!

so looks like my main graphics card is fucked somehow even though but dont know how. so looks like i gotta go out and spend more cash on a decent graphics card.

but it dont end there...

so got the hardware sorted and decided to reinstall windows and start fresh again in case there were some weird driver files or whatever in the install. only takes about 10 mins to install windows with a SSD anyways.

boot from the windows cd and the first stage of install goes all sweet. then the comp restarts as it needs to then gets to the BIOS AHCI loading screen and just stalls, says my 4 drives are there but the first one is the intel SSD and yeah just hangs on there!!!! fucken driving me crazy! just nothing is working out atm.

also my other comp isnt working atm either as that needs the new install so now all i got left working if my parents shitty comp that cant even run solitaire! Sad

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!!!

/rant....
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-13, 11:58

can you try installing the gfx (the new card), ssd, memory, cpu etc on the other mobo?

Just a gut feeling its the mobo for some reason, especially if the hdd host controller and the gfx are playing up. How long was the gfx card and everything installed before this all started happening, the crashes that is.

Anything from OCCAU?

And that majorly sucks, i know how much you were looking forward to the ssd Sad
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-13, 12:54

snow wat version of windows is it, my friend is having the same problems with windows 7.. he jst keeps freezing all the time.. i think its something to do with the nvidia driver.. he installed xp and it worked fine.. reinstalled 7 same problems.. hes run intel prime, memtests everything.. so try ur luck installing an older version of windows (if u are using 7) and see how u go..
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-13, 13:30

How long ago was that amz? I had issues while it was in beta and for a month or so after, but have gone to the latest driver and havent had any issues for a few months.
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-13, 13:38

Woffle' wrote:
can you try installing the gfx (the new card), ssd, memory, cpu etc on the other mobo?

i dont want to do this as both comps ahve been put back together and and during the week i really dont have time for it.

Amz wrote:
snow wat version of windows is it, my friend is having the same problems with windows 7.. he jst keeps freezing all the time.. i think its something to do with the nvidia driver.. he installed xp and it worked fine.. reinstalled 7 same problems.. hes run intel prime, memtests everything.. so try ur luck installing an older version of windows (if u are using 7) and see how u go..
dude i hadnt even been able to install anything! apart from norton, no drivers nothing. just what windows installs at the start. its windows 7 pro 64bit too.
prior to the SSD was using the same card on windows 7 as well

Woffle' wrote:
Just a gut feeling its the mobo for some reason, especially if the hdd host controller and the gfx are playing up. How long was the gfx card and everything installed before this all started happening, the crashes that is.
before i installed the SSD?
or when i did the new build with the SSD? prior to that ive been using the same GFX card since i got the comp which is about 15months ago or so...

Woffle' wrote:
Anything from OCCAU?
working with em atm but they keep saying its my PSU, apart from that not a whole heap to help really. havnt posted about the latest thing on there though.

Woffle' wrote:
And that majorly sucks, i know how much you were looking forward to the ssd Sad
dude for brief time i have used it, it has blown me away with the performance increase!
it just sucks having it sitting in front of me and not being able to use it atm Sad
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-13, 16:34

woffle, this is just been happening in the last two weeks. he just randomly freezes, cant do anything.

snow i still recommend trying to install xp and see how you go
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-13, 17:04

Amz, in what way would the OS affect the post screen before it even gets to boot?

Snowy the power supply is sounding to be about right, if its steadily crashing earlier the longer its on then it would suggest some sort of heat build up and a component stopping.

Your quite busy with the gym and all, just giving suggestions (realise they may be time consuming ones though) Smile may be easier to just swap psu rather than all the components if it makes it easier/quicker.
Back to top Go down
BrokenBos

BrokenBos

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-13, 17:21

can you boot into cmos? if so you should be able to check the voltages coming from the psu... Had this a while ago on a computer we were using as a file server... was REALLY weird... then we saw that one of the rails was giving weird voltages and changing up and down constantly.

If ya can have a look at that... but I had the thought that it was Mobo like Woff said.
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-13, 18:06

well the mobo (ga ep45-ds3 - gigabyte) was running perfectly with AHCI on the other comp. its the comp i took down for the lan. so i doubt the mobo would be stuffed as it was working sweet untill the first restart that needs to be done with the OS install. i have checked the BIOS on the voltages being put out from the PSU when i was first having the issue on my main comp (with the EVGA 780i mobo) they seemed to be all sweet, and only fluctuating a couple of .01volts here and there which from my understanding is normal for PSU's

pretty much just swapped the mobos in the comps so i can have AHCI with the SSD, 780i board dosnt support AHCI.

yeah ill take all suggestion woffle but your right, with full time work, gym 6 days a week and preperations of all meals is taking most of my time, only get a few hours here n there during the week (sometimes more if i dont sleep Razz)

swapping PSU's is feasable but still will take time, considering i take my time with cable management and all.

gotta get some time to google up a bit, hopefully i can cut some classes short tomorrow along with marking to see what i can dig up Smile
the students can wait cant they? sif they need uni education anyways....

havnt even tried the comp tonight, going to bed now so might get some time tomorrow night
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-14, 01:59

Tha Snowmann wrote:
well the mobo (ga ep45-ds3 - gigabyte) was running perfectly with AHCI on the other comp.
Was it enabled and running or was it enabled but the drives didnt support it so it wasnt used?

Tha Snowmann wrote:
swapping PSU's is feasable but still will take time, considering i take my time with cable management and all.
Shit snowy, ever heard of the term test bed? Or does that Mr Anal Cable Management guy always crash the party Razz <3

Tha Snowmann wrote:
sif they need uni education anyways....
Agreed, they can wait, its not like the paid good money for it Smile
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-14, 05:55

yeah i had AHCI enabled on the other comp with this board from the start using a normal SATA2 HDD (WD 500GB CB) need AHCI coz i was also using an external 1TB HDD connected via eSATA. AHCI supports hotswapping so thats why.

sif i needed to set it up as a test bed! there was nothing wrong with the mobo in the start, taking out HDD's are easy though.
And yeah Mr Anal Cable management always comes out, gotta keep ya shit clean man! Razz

they just spend their time at the pub anyways, so yeah they can wait i suppose Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-14, 12:46

...what do u teach snowy?
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-14, 15:24

cartography and geographical visualisation Smile
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-14, 16:31

he likes to play with maps and pretend he's a pirate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-14, 17:16

i actually made a pirate treasure map in my second year Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 02:11

makes you feel any better, my gfx card is fucking out (crashing) when i try to play just cause 2 and supreme commander. Guess thats what happens when you use a 3 year old gfx card to play the latest games Smile
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 04:19

yeah i just want to get the comp working first before i go out and buy a new card. hard decision, either get myself a 285 for around $500 or less (depending on what model) or go and get the new GTX470 which is $500. but i want to hear people stories of running one first
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 07:46

yeah i will be waiting for the next refresh, i mean its nice and all that the 400's are nice and stable compared to the ati cards at high res but would prefer to wait till there is a stronger card out where they havent disabled parts of the board just to get production running faster since they were 6 bloody months behind sched.
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 08:01

yeah no shit man! the 480 was supposed to have 512 shader cores but you do know the reason as to why it only has 480 cores now Smile

its like the shittest time to buy a card atm if you still want to stay with NVIDIA, hopefully refresh is out soon.

and hopefully tonight ill get some time to sort out the comp, if not the weekend.
i also gotta put together a comp for a mate and build that for him as well. got so many different things going on atm Sad
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 08:18

so let me guess, the next ones are going to be the 512 and 544 series Razz or do you mean that they are just slack Very Happy

They are good cards, just would feel like i was buying something sub standard and would have the feeling you get after you see your grandmother after you come out of a sex shop. IE just not right...
Back to top Go down
Edgers

Edgers

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 08:45

sorry, but
Tha Snowmann wrote:
only takes about 10 mins to install windows with a SSD anyways.

What a Face do want! Think I just found what my next batch of scholarship money is going on.
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 09:04

haha dude its fucken worth it, but they are still a little bit pricey.
the one i got from the states ended up being about $550 for 160GB, whereas here its about $750.

you can get cheaper ones that are a bit slower and smaller in size but its all personal preference.

HoN would load within a few seconds for ya Wink
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 09:21

Dont need to spend as much as snowy but a decent one will still go around 2x speed of standard sata drive and has an access time 1/20th of a sata drive (.3ms comapred to 12.~ ms) Smile if im not wrong they are good on power consumption too, only drawback is heat i think? Snowy will correct me if im wrong Wink
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 09:30

nah, with power only use maybe 5 watts on load. so for a laptop it can add up to an extra 30mins or so.
access time from memory is 1ms, pretty much no delay in accessing files on the drive. dont think heat is really an issue as there are no moving parts within it.

when i finally get it all going i can see if it gets hot. im guessing that it will be cooler then normal HDD's though
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty2010-04-15, 12:50

yeah edger man ssds fukin own!!

snowy.. DO NOT get a 285, i've got a 285, its ok.. but not special, if i had a choice now i would definately go for ati..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ive had the worst luck lately....   ive had the worst luck lately.... Empty

Back to top Go down

ive had the worst luck lately....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next