Ðead Øn Årrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ðead Øn Årrival

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Plasma vs LCD tv advice?

Go down 
+3
Justwon
SkUnKLuNgS
Quoth...
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Quoth...

Quoth...

Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty
PostSubject: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-27, 11:53

Were looking at buying a new telly, but I don't really know anything about LCD and Plasma tv's.
I'm reading through a bunch of shit on the subject now (have been for a little while) and am thinking that a LCD screen with a good refresh rate is probably what were going to go for.
This is the one we're thinking about buying:
http://au.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv_lcdtv_fullhdtv_42lh35fd.jhtml#

LCD's dont suffer burn in like plasmas, but they have a harder time with generating a good black colour., The one we're thinking of getting is only 50htz, but it has a 4ms response time (the same as my computer monitor). many plasmas and more expensive LCD's have 100htz or 200htz, but I don't know just how usefull the greater Htz really are.
Can anyone offer any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://quothdesign.com.au
SkUnKLuNgS

SkUnKLuNgS

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-27, 12:23

I would go lcd mate we got a 50 inch full hd plasma and it has some burn in marks
Back to top Go down
Justwon

Justwon

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-27, 16:43

Plasma=Sports

Lcd=Games

Plasma has more colour and deeper blacks, but lcds have a crisper image.
Depends on where you use your tv (dark areas, bright, etc.), when you use it, and what you use it for.

Bright areas, Plasmas will generally do decent with movies and stuff, but lcds will always be better at games.
Darker areas make lcds just look better, and lcds may suffer when put into brightly lit area, due to gloss that may have been put on the screen.

In general, Plasmas are decent with movies, normal tv, and games, but a good lcd shits all over a plasma.

But if you watch a lot of sport, Plasma ftw.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/Justwon
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-27, 20:16

well a good plasma (higher price range) they actually have this things to help with stopping the burn in process. moves the images around by 1 pixel i believe to stop the image being burnt in. not 100% sure on that though.

regarding that LG LCD tv, we have a 47inch Lg tv with 100htz and its not that great. we have been told to stay away from LG tv as there are heaps better ones out there. If you do get an LCD tv, you need to get one that has at least 100htz, anything less and you will get ghosting, and it WILL be a lot more noticeable. you do know what ghosting is regarding tv's yeah?
like i said our LCD tv has 100htz motionflow but when watching AFL, when the footy is kicked we can see it ghosting on the detail and its annoying, i would not even want to see what its like on a 50htz tv.

so dont even bother with a 50htz LCD tv. personally i would recommend the Song Bravia LCD tv's as ive seen them and they have a pretty nice picture (100htz plus)
even the new LED tv's have a really nice picture and they are thin as an Ethiopian on a 5 day crack binge! Razz haha yeah they are really thin Very Happy

one other thing to note, plasmas give off a lot more heat and they do add a fair bit to your electricity bill compared to an LCD tv, that is if you are concerned with that sorta thing Smile
Back to top Go down
Justwon

Justwon

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-28, 06:41

I have a 46" Lcd with 100htz, and I do not believe it is worth it, as there is a lot of flickering and ghosting when just minor movements occur, so I only use the 100htz on low, which I really don't know what it does, but it looks better than when it's off.
I can't give you the exact name of it, as I'm holidaying, but it's a Bravia X series.

And yeah Snowy, I'm pretty sure that the high end ones have things to help stop burn ins, but it will still eventually happen, I'm pretty sure. I may be wrong, so just google it.
There are some Plasmas that will run for over 80k hours before burn ins occur, and that's a long time.
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-28, 09:40

Guess snowmen need to worry about that sort of thing so they dont melt eh? Very Happy

Best bet is to go into a store and look at the screen yourself. Ask them if they accept returns after 3-4 days too. (sometimes looks awesome in store with the fluro's on it but most lighting at home isnt that bright.

LCD monitors display static images from computer or VGA sources extremely well, with full color detail, no flicker, and no screen burn-in. Moreover, the number of pixels per square inch on an LCD display is typically higher than other display technologies, so LCD monitors are especially good at displaying large amounts of data - like you would find on an Excel spreadsheet for example - with exceptional clarity and precision. For the same reasons, LCDs will also be a slightly better template for video gaming.

Plasma technology has increased anti burn in tactics as well as computer and static signal handling. There are still issues with each depending very much on the model and manufacturer. For example, most EDTV plasma televisions do not handle a computer input well and product a very jaggy image when viewing static images from same. Users may want to consider an commercial version plasma display if their application calls for a lot of computer use.

FAST-MOVING VIDEO PLAYBACK
ADVANTAGE: Plasma
Plasma displays get the nod here because of their excellent performance with fast-moving images and high contrast levels. There are still some 2nd tier manufacturers whose plasma product displays some phosphor lag, a dragging from brights to darks.

While the "response time" of LCD TVs has markedly improved in the last couple of years, they still suffer from a slight "trailer" effect, where the individual pixels are just slightly out of step with the image on the screen. During fast moving sports scenes, the most discerning eyes can detect this slight motion response lag.

If you get a plasma try to get a panasonic, thats mainly what they do. (they suck at lcd)
Back to top Go down
Justwon

Justwon

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-28, 09:44

Lol, Woffle knows all!
Back to top Go down
SkUnKLuNgS

SkUnKLuNgS

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-28, 11:05

Tha Snowmann wrote:
well a good plasma (higher price range) they actually have this things to help with stopping the burn in process. moves the images around by 1 pixel i believe to stop the image being burnt in. not 100% sure on that though.

regarding that LG LCD tv, we have a 47inch Lg tv with 100htz and its not that great. we have been told to stay away from LG tv as there are heaps better ones out there. If you do get an LCD tv, you need to get one that has at least 100htz, anything less and you will get ghosting, and it WILL be a lot more noticeable. you do know what ghosting is regarding tv's yeah?
like i said our LCD tv has 100htz motionflow but when watching AFL, when the footy is kicked we can see it ghosting on the detail and its annoying, i would not even want to see what its like on a 50htz tv.

so dont even bother with a 50htz LCD tv. personally i would recommend the Song Bravia LCD tv's as ive seen them and they have a pretty nice picture (100htz plus)
even the new LED tv's have a really nice picture and they are thin as an Ethiopian on a 5 day crack binge! Razz haha yeah they are really thin Very Happy

one other thing to note, plasmas give off a lot more heat and they do add a fair bit to your electricity bill compared to an LCD tv, that is if you are concerned with that sorta thing Smile

yeah high end stop burn in crap dont work trust me No
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-28, 11:36

yeah my mate has a massive 60inch plasma and he said his has that stop burn in thing and he says its awesome as, but he is a plasma man himself though.

yeah def see if you cant ake it back, coz cchecking at home on your equiptment will make a massive diff to whats in store. in store they normall play the full HD 1080p stuff to make the image wicked and with the use of all the lights helps it to. take it home, connect it up with the stuff your gonna use with it and make your decision then whether to keep it or return it.
Back to top Go down
Smurf

Smurf

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-28, 15:55

Ok well ill throw in my 2c, we have a 51" plasma hooked to a media centre, which means we have a moving screen saver set up so havent had any problems with burns.

Lower refresh and cheaper (around the same price, or a lil more of a decent plasma) LCDs have alot of problems with text and 'ghosting' around fast moving images (sports, some fast moving images such as action scenes etc).

Plasmas cost a bit more to run.

Higher end LCDs > Plasma.

Sunlight legibility in LCDs is lower....

Bout all I can think of, oh and some of the cheapers plasmas can take a lil while to heat up for the image.

Better darks and colour contrast in plasma over LCDs, sometimes it will make you want to cry at how much of a difference it can make

Guess its what you prefer personally and how much you are willing to spend, but at lower prices plasmas shit on LCDs, atleast they did not too long ago, havent checked prices lately.

Personally, id go plasma
Back to top Go down
Justwon

Justwon

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-28, 16:15

Lcds have around, 10-20 mil colour range, and plasmas have billions of colours. Colour quality is also better, but lcds have a brighter over-all image, good for games and general tv watching.

Lcd > Plasma in normal viewing and games

Lcd < Plasma in movies and sports.

The colours that the plasma churns out just makes movies look beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Quoth...

Quoth...

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-29, 05:39

Thanks for your opinions gents! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://quothdesign.com.au
McLaggin

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-29, 06:23

plain old thickback ftw.
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty2009-06-29, 16:16

Tha Snowmann wrote:
in store they normall play the full HD 1080p stuff to make the image wicked and with the use of all the lights helps it to. take it home, connect it up with the stuff your gonna use with it and make your decision then whether to keep it or return it.

Also beware of high end stores, they may have the exact same tv running as a cheap brand store but looks way better. Reason is that cheap brand store has 30 tv's running off the one splitter box that the manager cant be f'kd getting good gear. This means signal loss and interference from cheaply made rf cables (antenna) feeding signal to the tv. Lastly they normally have long cables so they can move the display to the other side of the store if need be.

You will notice that most higher end stores will:
Have a bluray player per tv or around 4tv's at the most on one splitter.
Cabling that only reaches to where it needs to
correct cabling used as well.

So i guess what im trying to say is take a note of the setup and picture quality at each then go to the cheap brand place to get a good deal with someone that doesnt know what they are talking about Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plasma vs LCD tv advice?   Plasma vs LCD tv advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Plasma vs LCD tv advice?
Page 1 of 1