đead ěn ┼rrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

đead ěn ┼rrival

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

Teh Army?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smurf

Smurf

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-28, 18:52

Ok so long story short, always wanted to join the army, at least into the Commandos unit in Special Forces. I applied and did all my testing and evaluations/interviews etc and just had to sign to go to Kapooka, lil bit before that I started seeing my current gf of now 2 years and decided to put it on hold to see what happened, could always go the army later.

Anyways clearly I didn't go back, but lately for several personal reasons I've been thinking about it a lot more. If I join the army I still want to join the same area and study law while im in there (criminal).

Anyways long story short I want to know what you guys think of either joining SASR or TAG (East over West), or if you knew anyone in them and what they thought.

Anyway for those of you who don't know:

Commandos:
Elite SF team that work in 5 man groups normally paired to standard infantry units, normally large scale stuff, patrolling with units etc in Iraq, Afghanistan etc. They do however do some more direct stuff but meh! Screw the large scale crap I want to do strike team stuffs!

TAG:
Comes under TAG East from the Commandos Reg or West from SAS, depending where they/you are trained. Tactical Assault Groups (TAG) are premier CTU of Australia. They're for offensive domestic CT ops focusing on incident resolution and hostages. Remain in Aus, all back door stuff. West can also do recovery etc and work outside of Aus.

SASR
Special Air Service Regiment. Modelled around the British SAS teams they play a similar role, used for recon and CT, as well as a surgical strike teams, they're also normally the first ones on the ground in a war zone, sometimes even months before the public knows they're at war or if there just isn't a war and well, we want to be there.

Anwyays Im aiming more towards SASR, but who knows, I at least have to go through commandos to start with, I might get there and love it, or hate doing CT work. just wondering if anyone knew more than me?

Pretty sure this is my current plan, but as I found out last time, things change. So who knows?
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
đě┼ VIP

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-28, 19:07

what does your interviewing officer say? i think with nz army you can go in as an officer depending on tests etc. and may be able to complete the intensive training side. (dont know if thats what you want or not)

Me personally would prefer tag, have the training and a bit more time to make calls before going in. commando to general for me and sasr sounds interesting but yeah all comes down to personal choice. Did they take a personality test for which placement you would go into.

From what your saying, either you have really high ambitions or your test scores were awesome, in which case, awesome Smile But the reason i ask about the tests is that to me these three need entirely different skills and coping abilities. Would really be best to ask your recruitment officer if there is anyone already in the position that could talk with you to feel out if its right.

Either way have fun with teh training and please dont parachute into my house unless its a friendly call Razz
Back to top Go down
Smurf

Smurf

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-28, 19:18

My recruit officer told me take my pick. I finished the unpassable IQ tests (lol) and aced all my interviews. Basically I was told to take my pick when i got in, as with commandos (or SF in general) you dont need to sign your 4 year contract until after your accepted.

What I mean is you do your tests and interviews, go to Kapooka, and before you finish there go infront of a selection committee and do some psych tests (more of). They either say you cant join now, your too insane, or come on in. If its the first two you can get a dismissal at your own request.

Anwyays as long as the psychs dont say im crazy later and I can handle the physical stuff I can get in wherever according to the tests. As far as I can remember officers are chosen depending on your testing, plus some more additional stuff to do.

But yeah, do whatever I want is what I heard (doesnt help me as I hear that far too often). But honestly TAG has probably the least amount of time to make calls before insertion as they are like swat (we do have a different group for that but essentially TAG is CT swat).

And like I said commandos to me doesnt sound as fun as its more patrolling etc with standard groups, I might as well be in the infantry.....

Oh and ASIO sucks, that is all Razz
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
đě┼ VIP

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-29, 04:28

hahaha asio sucks Smile only reason i was mentioning that is that when i was working with the nz government (not armed forces) they were quite helpful with getting qualifications. Alot of the time as well I was talking with people that actually helped make the law what it is. (can be a great leg up in the legal world but if they suck, they suck). Was the only one there without a degreee cause my test results were so high too Smile

Yeah i guess that the TAG plaement could be a bit more short term demanding, but would there be more time to get back to family (ie shorter deployment) compared to SASR? My flatmates father did pretty much the same thing for nz/aus/uk sf and while they get there a couple of months before, they normally stay a fair way through as well.

From memory one of his deployments was around 12 months (iraq and afgahnistan) having to stay and make sure everything ran smoothly after insertion when the grunts/peons/wolfriders arrived.

Guess it really depends on how you want the other parts of your life to be able to fit in with whichever option you take.
Back to top Go down
Smurf

Smurf

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-29, 09:31

Well TAG is split into East and West. East being only CTU and have their members straight from commandos. West recruit their members from the SASR and have CTU, i think recon, and precious recovery (including hostages etc) as well as off Aus shores, such as oil rigs boats etc.

Havent been able to find much on SASR deployment but yeah my guess is that the time away would be a bit longer
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
đě┼ VIP

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-29, 16:02

Bit about selection

Bit of history

Would recommend reading the above if you havent already Smile
Back to top Go down
Smurf

Smurf

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-29, 18:04

Haha, loved the James Brown part Razz
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
đě┼ VIP

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-29, 19:00

"These guys have raw meat for feet and severe chaffing from their pack and webbing and they stand in front of me and I have to tell them, sorry youĺre not what we are looking for."

thats harsh man, really harsh, yeah i would be one of the ones singing and prolly dancing when that came on Smile

Did someone lock this thread so only me and smurf can write in it? Very Happy <3

The last thing that I remember one guy who had a mate in the sas saying was that his mate was never the same. Sometimes found it hard to relate to civvy's after a while and was very strict with his kids etc. (had been doing it for about 15 years i think).

Either way im not trying to push you away from it, just trying to give you as much info as i can to help Smile Will be an awesome thing to look back on once its over.

Smurf whispers to the lawyer across the table in a large negotiation * you know, i could kill you with my pinky finger right now if i wanted *
Back to top Go down
Smurf

Smurf

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-29, 19:14

Baha yeah that would help my cause. And yeah the guys go through some hell hardcore testing, and it doesn't stop after that. Like they said I feel sorry for the guys who made it through, and then at the very end got told that they weren't what they were looking for. Apparently its not uncommon for people to have their toe nails literally dissolve or fall out.

Clearly this is our super secret sexy room Woffle Wink

Thinking of going RA Infantry, then applying to do commandos from there, that or SASR, not too sure yet. But word is Infantry is the best way in.
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
đě┼ VIP

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-29, 19:25

least going to infantry will be able to see if its something that you want to pursue further too Smile Wouldnt be too keen on toes falling out personally Wink

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Austerror

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty2009-06-29, 19:52

having read that.. i wish the best of luck.. sounds like something that would be worth attempting at least once in ur life just because it would take u a long way down the road to truly knowing urself.. id be interested to take it.. once ive hit the gym for 5 or so years.. im a bit.. untoned atm... lol

EDIT: thats not very nice woffle..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Teh Army? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teh Army?   Teh Army? Empty

Back to top Go down

Teh Army?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
đead ěn ┼rrival :: Off Topic :: Off Topic Rants and Rambles.-
Jump to: