Ðead Øn Årrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ðead Øn Årrival

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(

Go down 
+4
Tha Snowmann
Austerror
Monster
Amz
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Amz

Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty
PostSubject: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-09, 10:02

Oki its time for me to upgrade.. but im still a little indecisive about a couple of things..
This is what I was thinking of getting so far..

Lian Li PC-X2000 Black Aluminum Full Tower HTPC Case $653.00
Thermaltake Tough Power 850W Q-FAN PSU $285.00
MSI GTX285 1G SuperPipe OC (maybe 2) $449.00
Intel Core i7 920 Processor LGA1366 2.66GHz 8MB Cache CPU $392.00
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 $376.00
Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMP DDR3 riple Kit $169.00
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366/775 blister package $74.00

What I want to know is.. should i go for the GB-UD5 mobo or should i get an asus pt6?
And my ram.. I have no idea.. I was thinking about OZC Blade.. but its fkn expensive..
any useful info would be appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
Monster

Monster

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-09, 13:15

I have been looking at the same decision for a while now Amz.
I've ended up going with the asus p6t vanilla because it's had great reviews and hit similar specs to the deluxe (about the same as the UD5) but comes in at about a hundred bucks cheaper.

I'm getting the same ram processor and cooler which is about all I need for my upgrade. So I reckon you've made some awesome choices.

Wish I could afford a better gfx card as I'm only running an 8800gt but I'll see what's affordable when I've saved up what I really need.

As far as the mobos are concerned you just have to make sure they have all the things you want because at the moment most of the i7 boards are fairly comparable for performance (as long as the maker has decent OC software or bios - which both asus and gigabyte do).

Sounds like an awesome system though. If you want to play around with the OCing the gigabyte bios is supposed to have more detailed tweaking options than the asus bios. Depends what you're after.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-09, 15:20

Id go a cheaper tower. Use the money you save and upgrade the graphics.
Back to top Go down
Austerror

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-09, 18:07

Have u looked at a coolermaster HAF?? there still pretty big but not as costly...

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_31_504&products_id=8042

ive got one and i love it... really quiet only bitch is that its a bit heavy to lug around
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-10, 04:32

yeah looking at that amz i would def go a cheaper case, thats total overkill for what your doing. If you were watercooling everything and putting in stupid amounts of hardware then yeah, the case would be alright. i would suggest something like the antec 1200 ($300). IMO i think the HAF is pretty crappy. just that it has no dust filters and to me i dont like the look of it. dust filters are important, you dont want to be cleaning the dust out every month or so Smile

the gigabyte UD5 board is pretty good, just built a system for my mate but he has the UD4, pretty much identical minus a few small things. if your after overclocking your system get the UD5, got more options for tweaking the BIOS.

the ram will be fine unless you want to overclock your ram higher then 1600mhz, get better stuff but yeah it is more expensive. 1333mhz is pretty fast for ram but you will have to change the BIOS settings to get it to run at 1333mhz, easy as piss though Smile

PSU is sweet, same with the CPU and cooler.

Graphics card is good as well, getting the cheaper case will allow for you to put a lil extra money in to get a second one if you want but TBH i dont think you will need 2 of them. what monitor are you running?
one of these graphics cards on a 24inch monitor is perfect, will be able to play all the new games at high res and all that so unless your going a 30inch monitor only need 1 atm. plus nvidia are bringing out there new GTX300 series cards very soon, so just keep that in mind coz it might very well mean cheaper GTX200 series cards Very Happy

dont need no HDD or n e thing? coz the money left over from getting a cheaper case can allow you to get a SSD HDD for the OS, that is where you will see a very nice improvement Very Happy

Ohh another thing, where are you planning on getting all the parts from?

hope this helps a bit Smile
Back to top Go down
Monster

Monster

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-10, 06:29

No point in upgrading the ram Snowy cause the 920 can only handle speeds up to 1066Mhz. You need the 965 at least to address higher speeds.
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-10, 06:50

Monster wrote:
No point in upgrading the ram Snowy cause the 920 can only handle speeds up to 1066Mhz. You need the 965 at least to address higher speeds.

thats not true.

by default without changing any BIOS settings the 920 will default the ram to 1066.
with the ram amz is looking at getting they are designed to run at 1333 and in fact have their own XMP profile. within the BIOS for the gigabyte board you select the XMP profile for the ram and it will run at 1333.

my mate has a 920, gigabyte UD4 board and OCZ 1333mhz ram. after building it, checked the speeds and all that in BIOS and yes the ram was running at 1066, but i just selected the XMP profile for the ram and now it runs at 1333. its like overclocking but its not, bloody piss easy Smile

even on my Q8200 ive had my ram (designed for 1066mhz) running at 1500mhz when on default it runs at 800mhz (mind you it wasn't very stable but i got a boot with 1600mhz ram Razz)
Back to top Go down
Monster

Monster

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-10, 07:04

Awesome, I've been looking at some similar upgades to Amz and thought I was going too high on the ram because of what the specs say. Thanks for that mate. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-10, 07:28

no probs man, thats what overclocking is for Razz

if you get ram rated to run at 1600mhz then you can get the ram running at that, just gotta select the profile or enter in the values yourself.

before you put your ram in, check the stickers on the side, they normally tell you how much volts to run to them and what timing they should have along with the mhz value

eg.
5-5-5-15-2T @ 2.1v

thats what my ram said so yeah
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-10, 17:14

thanks guys.. heaps of help..
okay so ive decided on the ud5..
mite have to re-think my ram..
i guess my options if i go for 1600 are..
OCZ 6G(3x2G) Intel X DDR3 1600Mhz -226
Kingston Hyperx 6G(3x2G) 16000Mhz DDR3 CL8 Intel XMP -199
Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB (3x 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 Triple Kit -252
i seriously have no idea about ram and quality of different brands..

the monitor im thinking of getting is
24inch LG L246WHX-BN BLACK WIDE LCD Monitor HDMI HDCP 1920 x 1200 5ms Response 5000:1 Contrast $389
would prefer 2ms to black.. but those prices are getting too high..

i know the case is overkill but i have this unnatural obsession for it.. -_- (dont ask)
its not that im particularly restricted by money or anything but i obviously dnt wanna pay twice as much for 5% more performance..

i would consider waiting for the 300 series to be released but ive looked and i havent been able to find anywhere which even so much as hints at a release date.. unless you guys know anything?

All my parts and prices are from umart.. i've looked around and havent been able to find anywhere cheaper..

As for my hdds I already hav a SSD and enough hdds to tide both my comps over x_x..
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-11, 04:47

well with the ram i would suggest to get the "OCZ 6G(3x2G) Intel X DDR3 1600Mhz -$226" set.
all of these ram sets have the same timings however this set of OCZ ram has 2 XMP profiles. a 1600mhz one and also a 1800mhz one.
XMP Profile 1: 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 1.65
XMP Profile 2: 1800MHz 9-9-9-28 1.65V

they are a good choice Smile

if you want that case then thats fine, go get it. if you willing to spend the money then its no problems. its good that you already have SSD's and all your HDD's
but as you said regarding the money issue that your not that restricted on cash i would suggest a different monitor.
instead of that LG one get the Samsung 2443BW+ 24inch wide 5ms VGA DVI Height/Swivel/Tilt - $402

they are a great monitor (ive got 2 of them but in the gloss finish) they dont have a HDMI connection but they are HDCP compatible and they have really good warranty, have never had any problems with samsung.

regarding the 300 series graphics cards, i wouldnt get one as soon as it comes out, games will not utilize DX11 for a few years so there is no need to worry about them. what i was trying to get at is that when the 300 series cards come out, if you still want to get your second graphics card then get it then as the release of the 300 series will most likely mean a drop in 200 series card prices so i would wait for the second card till then Smile
ive heard a few things that in September/October Nvidia are releasing their first card for a demo show thing at a big conference, but not releasing it to the public. prob end of this year they will be going out to the public. still a bit hazy on it though.

hope that helps, oh another thing, if you really wanted to you can get ram that will run at 2000mhz as your mobo will support it but then again your looking at a lot more money so dont worry bout that Smile

Snowmann
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-11, 08:58

if you want a good performance gain then get a couple of ssd's in SAS elephant
Back to top Go down
grievous

grievous

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-11, 10:50

Amz, stop being a bitch, dish out the cash and buy the good shit. It may help you improve your less than mediocre performance in-game and in bed.

<3 Griev
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-11, 20:15

thanks snowy and moster.. big help aye!!

griev i will admit you can own me in css.. but until u stop me from dominating ur bitch ass in bed.. well u get the idea ^^
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-12, 04:17

rofl...

now ya gotta post pics of ya build once its done Razz
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-12, 08:24

haha nooo if i have to do that, means i have to do a tidy construction.. u should see my current comp.. looks like a wreck aye.. ive got my old two psu fans (i blew my psu up) attached to my hdds because my hdd bays are on top of each other and they heat up like mad.. ive got one stick of ram because my others also burnt out.. and well theres more wires than parts from what i can see..
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-12, 08:36

so heres is my final list.. the top half i guess you can say are essentials...
and the bottom half are extras i guess?

Lian Li PC-X2000 Black Aluminum Full Tower HTPC Case $653.00
Thermaltake Tough Power 850W Q-FAN PSU $285.00
MSI GTX285 1G SuperPipe OC $449.00
Intel Core i7 920 Processor LGA1366 2.66GHz 8MB Cache CPU $392.00
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 $376.00
OCZ 6G(3x2G) Intel X DDR3 1600Mhz $205.00
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366/775 blister package $74.00
Antec 120mm SmartCool Fan x2 $52.00

$2486

OCZ SSD Bracket $22
OCZ 60G Vertex Series SSD $308
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse Instock $69.00
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard Refresh Instock $98.00
Samsung 2443BW+ 24inch wide 5ms VGA DVI Height/Swivel/Tilt $402

$899

$3385
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-12, 08:49

looking good, but yeah you still gotta post up pics Razz
you gotta keep it clean if your buying all that gear!

so i take it your going to be overclocking that I7?
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-12, 08:51

yeah definately... otherwise i woulda gone for amd.. first time buying intel so hope it all works out well
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-12, 09:34

yeah it will, will be a fairly solid system Smile
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-12, 10:35

hey snowy, i saw you had the corsair ram coolers.. do you find them useful? or doesnt make much of a difference?
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-12, 11:31

well they came with the ram that i bought, actually got 2 of them Very Happy
its pretty much there for looks i think, i havnt clocked my ram to crazy levels so it dosnt need the extra cooling. If you are going to run your ram at 1600mhz which is what your ram sticks are designed to run at you do not need to worry about a ram cooler. it just adds a little bit extra noise.

however if you want to add some more 'looks' to your build you can get one, only about $60 or something, but just make sure you get one for tri-channel ram (its a bit wider then mine)
Back to top Go down
Amz

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-16, 06:45

funding from my sponsors has just been approved, so hopefully will get the parts next week assuming all goes to plan. Will post up pics soon
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-16, 10:20

Sponsers?
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty2009-08-16, 13:59

so what is this build going to be for if you have sponsors??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(   Amzeh's Hard Decisions :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Amzeh's Hard Decisions :(
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next