Ðead Øn Årrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ðead Øn Årrival

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

(Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2

Go down 
+5
Tha Snowmann
McLaggin
ADMIN
Edgers
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Crunchy

(Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-20, 05:20

Yeah the system of listen servers WORKS for consoles, thats not the point, FPS' suck on consoles.

IW just thought well if its good enough for consoles... it must be good for PC and they were wrong.

IMO IW/Activision did this so that outside companies don't make money hiring out Dedi's to the public and the fact they can police it better (This can be good or bad).
Back to top Go down
Edgers

Edgers

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-20, 05:44

They did it so they can flog $20 mappacks to dumbasses every few months
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-20, 05:50

im actually quite enjoying playing FPS on a console, that does not go for all FPS though, but i like MW2 on the PS3. I still do prefer playing on a computer as im better at it and you have more control but i wouldnt go as far to say FPS suck on a console.

from my understanding "IW just thought well if its good enough for consoles... it must be good for PC and they were wrong." thats not entirely true. it seems that did this so that the game play and all that is the same across the board for all platforms. they wanted control over how its played, whereas if people start doing all mods to it (not saying that mods are bad at all) and then a newcomer comes to play not knowing they are going onto a 'modded' server then the game play with be different and they might think that the game sucks coz you can only use this type of weapon or its only this type of game play.
they really just wanted people to play the game how it was designed to be played which i can see as being fair enough.

Im not supporting the whole idea that IW have done the right thing by everyone here though, having dedicated servers that people can choose to play on is a good thing. It helps minimise ping and all the lagg issues that are associated with online game play.

prob what they should have done if they wanted to still maintain the control over the game play was allow people to setup dedicated servers and have it so that people can join the servers that they want but not allow for mods and all that. then again its a catch 22 i suppose as the reason behind people hosting their own servers is to have the control over whats going on. so yeah like you said, it can be good or bad

regarding those map packs edgers, if one of your mates buys it, just get them to sign in on your PS3 and download the maps to your console, then you have the maps Smile
but yeah it would be done to get extra money. not that they need it though the damn thing has recorded record profit margins on the game just within the first week iof it being released! i think its around the $597m mark or something
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-20, 08:58

As for the ping issue, i have had problems with this, just trying to join a random game and ending up in america or japan or even in poland as was once the case, it freakin annoying, especially if you want to use the .50 cal, one biut of movment and you will never hit due to the lag, however, wheni get onto and aussie server, i can absoloutly kick arse, and i slowly but surely figureed out that the host migration is determined by the location of the players and the quality of the "serving" available by those players... put simply, if there is majority players from australia, the host will merge to one of these players in oz, most times, it happens quickly, some occasions its lost connection, meh, i dont care, find another game...

When ever i come across aussie players (the majority have [AUS] as the tag prefix) i add them to my friends list, i have at least 20-30 ppl added to my list, i go through that list until i find a friend in an aus server then i simply join, in most cases we will get at least 6-7 rounds until the host merges somewhere else or the host ends the game or what ever...

The whole reason they maintain total control over the system is to uphold the integirty of the online rankings and accumulated xp, which lets face it, if you could pick and choose what servers to play, e.g. private dedi's, whose to say that they have not maniulated the points structure and what not to gain an unfair advantage? or only have friends on to rank up quickly by letting them kill each other etc etc...

I love the whole idea that everyone who plays the game is competing against each other on 1 world ranking system, because there are no mods or ways to manipulate the game (YET) it is a fair system...

If you dont like to use console controls hey guess what, sony thought it a great idea to include usb connections to the PS3 so you can plug in your usb mouse and keyboard, which is how i play, i have the same if not better accuray and control as if i was using the computer...

So its pretty simple, if you dont like it, DONT FUCKING BUY IT!!!! stick with your WoW or runescape or what ever if it is that winging little bitches play these days...? Razz

thankyou, have a nice day lol!
Back to top Go down
Edgers

Edgers

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-20, 10:52

I didn't say anything about the game on consoles - If i was rich enough to own a ps3 MW2 would be a wicked buy, i'm talking about the game on PC and why it isn't worth buying imo:

Modern warfare original PC version:
Dedicated servers: check.
User mods, as well as IW being very supportive of user mods: check
Lean: check
Console: check
Ability to moderate your server - control over hackers: check
32 players on a server: check
Fair pings for everybody - no ping advantage for host: check

Moder warfare 2 PC version:
Dedicated servers: removed
User mods: removed
Lean: removed
Console: removed - also means you can no longer edit the game for you computer eg FOV
Ability to moderate your server/match: Can't ban hackers unless IW catches them (lol)
Max players: reduced to 18
Fair pings for everybody: No, host gets a 0 ping advantage

On top of that MW2 was more expensive.

So yeh, imo not worth it. I'll torrent for the single player.
Back to top Go down
McLaggin

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-20, 11:36

lol what a joke, mw2 was much cheaper if you got it from the right place, mw was like 100 bucks at least everywhere. apart from that its all true. Worst part is they are making you pay for dlc/updates now. talk about consolised...
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-20, 12:50

well yeah one thing that annoys me is 18 max people, more would be fun on an all on all deathmatch Very Happy
i actually got MW2 for PS3 for $82!!
i thought that was very reasonable for a just released that day game Smile
i got it from EB and they were advertising $110 or something but have price match where JB had it for $82. dude didnt even second question me on it

Edgers, the single player part of it well it dosnt last that long man. its fucken wicked to play and all that but not that long. def wouldnt buy it for $80 if it was just the single player mode.
it is a bit annoying how one person will have an advantage over the ping if they are hosting but like i said i havnt seen much in terms of that yet
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-20, 14:58

So you've gone through the spec ops part as well snowy? Not just the campaign mode Razz
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-20, 17:27

nah havnt done the spec ops yet, did the single player one and then went straight to multiplayer with my mates.

ill get to it though Smile
Back to top Go down
Crunchy

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2009-11-21, 04:03

Tha Snowmann wrote:
it is a bit annoying how one person will have an advantage over the ping if they are hosting but like i said i havnt seen much in terms of that yet

Your're on a console that system works on a console you probably will never notice/experience it. It just does not work for PC's.
Back to top Go down
pyro

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2010-02-09, 05:27

I heard that they were going to release dedicated servers as PS3 went ahead and did there own...?
Back to top Go down
http://www.synexservers.com.au
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2010-02-09, 05:53

i havnt heard/seen anything regarding dedicated servers for MW2 on PS3, could be a good thing though Smile

however things have been going really well for MW2 on the PS3 regarding ping and all that. every time i have gone to play i always get green bars, and most of the times its full green bars so they have fixed that up which is good, i can now actually rush and not really have to worry about delay in knifing and all that.
i dont get stuck with shitty american servers that have bad ping.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2010-02-09, 08:08

Yeah Snowy, they now have added a patch that begiuns your search for games according to your ping... trying to join the first available server with the lowes ping... Since they introduced this i havnt had many problems with ping, host changes to different countries etc... Im loving it, already lvl 2 prestige 38 and rising :-)
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2010-02-09, 08:50

haha nice nice but you always play shitty headquarters! fuck that man Razz i just chill out on it, still only lvl 69 i think....but no prestige Sad dunno if i wanna prestige though.

sometimes though it takes a while to get onto a server even though there are 12000+ people playing that type of game. oh well
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty2010-02-09, 11:23

who's getting bad company 2 or battlefield 1943?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2   (Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

(Lack of) Dedicated servers for modern warfare 2
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ðead Øn Årrival :: Off Topic :: Gamers Chat.-
Jump to: