Ðead Øn Årrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ðead Øn Årrival

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

comment 4 mapmakers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fodder
|ÐØÅ| Director
fodder

comment 4 mapmakers Empty
PostSubject: comment 4 mapmakers   comment 4 mapmakers Empty2008-06-23, 05:29

Just a couple of hints for mapmakers if they want them to be a permanent part of our map cycle. Was inspired to write this by a new map that I played the other day. I spawned, ran out of spawn and thought, "this has to go!". I dont know the technical terms but I will list some of our requirements of what we think a good gg map oughta be.

Maps need to be fairly small and fairly simple.

No multi levels unless they are open and simple, If a map's ground floor is a good size with various obstacles then dont put in another level. I dont mean a rooftop like funtimes, I mean like a second story, another floor so its like another map up top.

I dont think water is needed, or those "dusty" maps with dust effects. Too much lag 4 some ppl. As with too many "reflections".

Start with bright textures, NO dark maps, and try not to add too much lighting, again creates lag. Keep it light and bright to start with.

Consider the colours of t"s and ct"s and colour maps accordingly, so dudes are not camouflaged.

Spawn exits need to be at least 3-4 ppl wide, it"s a pain to try and rush out to find one guy standing at an exit and you cant get out!!

Same with ladders out of spawn, 3-4 ppl wide so no logjams.

Some sort of symmetry is good, either end should be roughly similar so that one side or the other is not favoured.

One spawn should not be able to see the other.

No windows like corner so dudes stare and wait. (god I hate corner).

Spawn damage is awesome, anything that is anti-camp is awesome lol. Just so long as it's worked out fairly. Mutant has a brilliant answer to that but I'll wait 4 him to set it up.

All maps to be run by me or wake up or both 4 approval b4 uploading.

And take ur time, don't hurry to get it uploaded.

Don't mean to sound dictatorial guys, but if me and wake up don't like it then it does'nt have much chance eh. Same same, if it's constantly rtv'd as soon as it's up.......then it's out! Popularity rules! It's gotta be popular and the two old dudes have to like it. (c'mon geoff, yes you are).

Speaking of being old, I did this post yesterday, but made the crucial mistake of not clicking that little button that says "send", lol. (hey I know what you just thought so STFU) Lol. Anyway, some more thoughts will be added to this as long term memory kicks in so keep you're eye out eh.

We think it's ultra cool to have mapmakers onboard and are keen to encourage you guys to keep it up, but I don't want you to take it too personally or stop mapping if we cann one of you're maps eh. Just sometimes it's not workin out 4 some reason.
HAI! Cool

Last edited by |ÐØÅ fodder on 2008-06-25, 01:58; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Harlequiine

PostSubject: Re: comment 4 mapmakers   comment 4 mapmakers Empty2008-06-23, 14:55

I'll use all that advice on my next map and see what you think then eh? Very Happy

Also you should add the note that spawns should not have camp spots (Like my latest map.. BIG mistake) & also that an anti-camping trigger is a good idea. I've added two buttons in the middle of my map that start damaging anyone in T or CT spawns (depending on what button you press) when you click it. So it still gives people a chance to run away and such. Or as Mutant suggested in another thread, a trigger for when the first person leaves the spawn it will damage anyone left in the spawn after x seconds.
Back to top Go down
Keza

Keza

PostSubject: Re: comment 4 mapmakers   comment 4 mapmakers Empty2008-06-23, 15:38

Hahaha, oi harlequiine, don't pinch my ideas!! I've done that on quite a few maps, and just as a heads up, most people hate it, lol, they think it's a bad feature because when they go into the other teams spawn they get damaged and they get effed off for being damaged while not camping
Back to top Go down
Harlequiine

PostSubject: Re: comment 4 mapmakers   comment 4 mapmakers Empty2008-06-23, 16:07

Ho hum good point. I THINk i figured out how to make a better trigger, testing it now.
Back to top Go down
WAKE UP Geoff!!
|ÐØÅ| Director
WAKE UP Geoff!!

PostSubject: Re: comment 4 mapmakers   comment 4 mapmakers Empty2008-06-23, 19:03

One of the most rewarding things for me to come out of the starting the server is, apart from playing with a great bunch of guys and girls, the revitalization of existing map makers and the inspiration for new map makers to start, that the server has given. Nothing, I would assume, would be grander for a map maker than seeing their map on a server with people playing it and having a good time. On the other side, it must be disheartening to get criticism or have that map removed from the server.

We have removed maps that I have actually have liked and have kept ones that I really dislike. As fodder has said we are moved by popular vote and what I think, is a very restrictive formula for gun game maps.
For gun game to flow and play well there needs to be certain elements contained in the maps and its not always easy to achieve the total package.

So I say please, please guys don't get disheartened and stop or not give it a go in the first place. Take it on the chin and refine your knowledge and skills of what makes a popular and enjoyable gun game map.

As a foot note; In the coming months I intend to start a css server that will be totally different to all that are out there now. I don't want to say to much about it so as not to let the cat out of the bag, but it will open the way for map makers to create large sophisticated maps with objectives and as with our gun game server I'll be encouraging guys to submit maps for it.

In the end all I wish to say is fan-bloody-tastic guys and keep it up.

cheers

Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://dead-on-arrival.roflforum.net
fodder
|ÐØÅ| Director
fodder

PostSubject: Harlequines spawn damage   comment 4 mapmakers Empty2008-06-25, 02:05

Dam it's a hassle having altzeimers lol. Spawn damage and 2-3 other points I just remembered from the post I didn't send dammit. So check the list again dudes. Anything that discourages camping is a good idea I reckon, so long as it's fair mate. Cool to have you on board as a regular Harlequine even with you're damn "I'm not into clans attitude" you bitch! jocolor
Back to top Go down
Harlequiine

PostSubject: Re: comment 4 mapmakers   comment 4 mapmakers Empty2008-06-25, 19:52

Haha, glad to be on board Very Happy
It's not my fault xP I just don't see the point in them unless you want to war regularly in competitions etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: comment 4 mapmakers   comment 4 mapmakers Empty

Back to top Go down

comment 4 mapmakers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ðead Øn Årrival :: General Discussion :: Customization-
Jump to: