Ðead Øn Årrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ðead Øn Årrival

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ideas for a new map

Go down 
+2
Pu|sE
Keza
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Keza

Keza

Ideas for a new map Empty
PostSubject: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-18, 17:21

Okay guys, pretty much, I want to create a new map for the server, dedicated to being perfect for gungame. I want it to be fast pased, small amount of cover, no camping spots kinda thing. Maybe two levels high, but a lot of points of encounter. No doors to get stuck on, no stupid things on the ground to trip on. Not a basic 4 square map, needs to be original and fun Smile

So, to complete such a task, I'm asking for all of you to help me with ideas and such. Things it should have and things it shouldn't have. Post some drawings from paint if you feel like it, or maybe screen shots of things from other maps which have good features.

Cheers to anyone who helps Smile
Back to top Go down
Pu|sE
|ÐØÅ| Captain

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-18, 17:22

MORE EXPLOSIONS! =D
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-18, 17:23

I like the idea of 2 rooms (spawns) and 3 hallways just a fucking rush map aye.
Back to top Go down
Pu|sE
|ÐØÅ| Captain

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-18, 17:27

Yeah, but one team would dominate and the other would be wiped out time after time. Just because of the balance of good players and people who get the idea of rushing not camping
Back to top Go down
Keza

Keza

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-18, 17:38

hmm, it needs to have at least 6 points of encounter I think, and fairly open aswell. That'll give people a chance to come up with some sort of stratergy rather than just going around full boar spamming.. No explosions pulse Razz
Back to top Go down
Keza

Keza

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-18, 17:40

Oooh, and also, if you can come up with ideas I want to give it some ninja elements ^^
Back to top Go down
Pu|sE
|ÐØÅ| Captain

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-19, 04:26

Oooh ninja.... no ninja elements like explosions though? They can be sneaky explosions? Like snukes!
Back to top Go down
Keza

Keza

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-19, 05:36

Lol, keep it on topic, umm
Also, what kinda textures would you all want aswell for this map?
Back to top Go down
fodder
|ÐØÅ| Director
fodder

PostSubject: snukes and map ideas   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-19, 06:08

Fkn snukes pulse lol. I luv basic rush maps. I have an idea that instead of creating new ideas, take an everyday normal thing and make it giant or the players tiny, like the rats maps. The whole map is in a fridge , a bus, a kitchen bench with stuff on it etc. Geoff also had an idea bout using the elements of an unreal tournament 2004 map. U dudes know the map called Plunge? Have launch ramps with boosters like turbo castle, know what I mean? Not neccessarily in response to a good gg map but just a fun idea. We are tryin to come up with a couple of maps that would be really funnny or crazy fun. Giant skull, eyes, ears, mouth nose as platforms, and ramps or stairs joining them all?. So 2 map ideas, one good gg map, and one crazy weird type map? Still good gg of course. Thanx 4 input, kezulse, we'll put more thought into it dudes. HAI!
Back to top Go down
Keza

Keza

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-19, 07:32

Heh, sweet as. there's a great map with some launch ramps I know of, I think it's called dm_omfg. It's smallish, so great for GG =]
Back to top Go down
WAKE UP Geoff!!
|ÐØÅ| Director
WAKE UP Geoff!!

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-19, 08:32

Hey guys,

All I can say is go for it guys!!!
Fodds and I are right into supporting any map builders and we are keen as to give them a run on the server. They must follow 1 rule "be heaps of fun to play on for gun game"

A note; Just to make sure you dont spend too much time on a map that we dont think will fit, maybe give us the bear bones form first for us too try out.

Mutant and I are trying to script different weapons orders per map eg; No snipers in small total rush maps, alternating warm up weapons, adjusting
grav and having a short gun list fun blitz maps, that are made to go for 4 or 5 min with all sorts of bells and whistle just for a different break to normal gun game.

These mods will only be used every so often but could make a night playing gun game a bit more interesting and fun.

So we are into all sorts of ideas to expand the playing experience and look forward to all of your ideas.

|ÐØÅ| WAKE UP Geoff!! Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://dead-on-arrival.roflforum.net
Pu|sE
|ÐØÅ| Captain

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-19, 10:59

Great idea Geoff with the scripts. But you might wanna work on it yourself seeing as Mutant is a nub Razz.

If you want a rush map, how about one that has multiple spawn points for each team that all have one or maybe 2 routes to a center area with minimal cover? And that's where it turns into a massive fire fight?

Ideas for a new map Idea_f12
Back to top Go down
Keza

Keza

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-04-19, 11:32

Oooh, awesome dude, I'll try make something like that now =]
Ooh, and btw, to any maps that I make for gungame, I'm going to make sure that there's no spawn camping at all, I'll set up a triger, that when someone walks outside any spawn, all of the spawns will start giving some damage to any player who is still in spawn after a certain time frame, until they get out of spawn =]
Back to top Go down
Harlequiine

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-06-21, 15:56

I can't be bothered figuring out that trigger Keza so when you figure it out tell me how to do it Very Happy It'd be good for my new map.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-06-22, 06:11

Trigger_proximity with outputs to a trigger_hurt,

You will find these are used a lot in in surf maps.
Back to top Go down
fodder
|ÐØÅ| Director
fodder

PostSubject: map design   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-06-22, 07:11

Hey you mapmakers, just some comments on the subject eh. Obviously we want maps suitable 4 gungame and I think we need to reiterate some basic principles. To be suitable for our gungame it needs to be.......

Fairly small and fairly simple

Drop the water and water reflections

Dont bother with any dust effects

Dont have more than one level unless ALL levels are simplistic and open without bits and pieces everywhere

Maps need to be light and bright

Start with bright textures so a minimum of lighting is required

No direct line of sight from spawn to spawn

Spawn exit points and ladders need to be at least 3-4 ppl wide to avoid logjams

I think spawns need to be vaguely symmetrical, not exactly, but not radically different so there is an advantage one way or another

Unfortunately me and wake up are the serverer ownerers (lol) and if we dont like it then it aint got much chance of surviving eh. Dont mean to be too dictatorial, but if we come to ur place and redesign ur bedroom it better be to ur liking otherwise u"ll be pissed and change it back. Yes, no?

There will be more added to this as we think of it possibly, so keep an eye out. Having said all this we dont want to discourage mapmakers, but there is not much point if we dont like them eh. And guys, if that happens then dont take it personally eh, we just dont think it works or the punters keep rtving. If its always instantly rtvd then its out soz.

I played a brand new map the other day, spawned, ran out and thought "this has to go" It was so obviously not a gungame map. When its so anti gungame then wtf?

Also keep ur eye out 4 maps u find on other servers or that are in ur maplist. Cool map is a cool map eh. HAI! Cool
Back to top Go down
Harlequiine

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-06-22, 09:06

Oh true Mutant, I'll give it a go on my next map.

& Fodder I'll keep that in mind. In my opinion it's not as fun to make such a basic map (Mine are all basic but still different) but I love playing on my own maps Very Happy

Now that I think about it, pretty much all of my maps fit that description anyway.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-06-22, 12:12

fodder wrote:
Spawn exit points and ladders need to be at least 3-4 ppl wide to avoid logjams
Agree, but if the exits are only 1-2 players wide have many of them 4+ so at least 8 players are out of spawn within the first 2 seconds.
Back to top Go down
Keza

Keza

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty2008-06-22, 15:25

haha, my maps vary, and latly I've been using the same texture design on all of them because I'm too lazy to create a new look for them xP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for a new map   Ideas for a new map Empty

Back to top Go down

Ideas for a new map
Page 1 of 1